Sunday, November 15, 2009

Empty Bowls Fundraiser - 2009

Yesterday was the 2009 Empty Bowls Fundraiser to raise awareness about hunger in the Brazos Valley as well as support the Brazos Valley Food Bank. I donated some of my homemade whole wheat rolls for the event and rushed right over to join the festivities as soon as the farmers' market closed.

Lois Vaughn, one of the market vendors joined me for lunch, we met many other friends there, and made a few new ones as well. Here's how it worked:
  • Donate $15 or more to the Brazos Valley Food Bank
  • Select one of the many ceramic bowls made by local artisans all over the brazos valley (this is your keepsake for the event)
  • Savor a simple lunch of homemade soups and breads (there were 2 vegan options!!!)
  • Enjoy the company of others, as well as live music by Joey McGee, as you dine
This has been the first time in the four years of Empty Bowls that I've been able to attend the event. This year, I just MADE time and it was SO worth it! Let's just say, I'll be attending every year in the future. But then, how can you pass this up? There's GREAT food, wonderful company, and beautiful music... all for a wonderful cause!

Thanks to the artisan who crafted and donated my beautiful bowl and thanks to Greta Watkins for organizing and hosting the events. You can count on me for bread again next year!

No comments: