Saturday, November 14, 2009

Local Diet Update - November 14, 2009

Today could not been a more gorgeous day, and, in fact, it was a PERFECT day for our farmers' market! Vendors lined the parking lot, customers came out in droves, and the Friends of the Brazos Valley Farmers' Market unveiled the 2010 Farmers' Market Calendar. The Calendar was a HUGE hit - we sold almost 1/3 of the ones we printed (AWESOME!)

Speaking of huge, can you believe the size of that carrot? Lois Vaughn is famous at the market for her carrots, but geez louise! THAT's a carrot!

Of course, we had lots more than carrots at the market this morning. In fact, this is a wonderful time of year with summer veggies slowly wrapping up and winter veggies just entering the market. Check this out:

Veggies and Fruits: Yellow onions, sweet potatoes, red potatoes, yellow squash, carrots, tomatoes, green beans, wax beans, peanuts, hot and sweet peppers, eggplant, cucumber, zucchini, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, turnips, spinach, okra, snow peas, patty pan squash, collards, kale, swiss chard, herbs, lemons, dried apples, dried cranberries

Baked Goods: yeast breads, sweet breads, cheese breads, pumpkin rolls, cookies, carrot cake, peanut brittle, dog cookies, pound cake, pies

Canned Goods: jellies, jams, relishes, pickles, salsas

Other Foods: pecans, eggs, honey, olive oil, grits, cornmeal, whole wheat flour, locally roasted coffees, hot pepper sauce

Crafts: stained glass, gourds, aprons, hats/scarves, wooden bird houses, jewelry, pillows, dolls, wallets, purses, cloth-covered books, pot holders, christmas tree ornaments, candles, decorative welded iron work

Plants: herb plants, fruit trees (including an avocado tree), decorative plants

I don't know about you, but I'm thinking "wow!" is a bit of an understatement!

Honestly, I don't know how I got out of there without buying one of everything, but with a backyard harvest of sweet potatoes, green beans, sage, basil, green onions, green peppers, broccoli, and lettuce from our own backyard, a pantry full of all-local, home canned goodies as well as local brown rice, plus some Texas grapefruit in the fridge - well, we really didn't need much.

I picked up (whether bartered for, bought, or was given...) whole wheat flour, carrots, red potatoes, lemons, dried cranberries, and two jars of pesto (the pesto was a birthday present from my friend Mike - Thanks Mike!).

All I know is that it's going to be another delicious week. Anyone hungry? We have plenty to share!

Have a great weekend everyone, and Happy (and mindful) eating!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great site! Love your blogs! I look forward to your future posts. My husband created a blog about going green. www.guygoesgreen.com This is his way to make me happy (since I have been "green" for a while) but also a learning experience for the both of us. I will definately take away some good ideas from your site. I will post your site as a favorite on our blog.

Krista said...

Mmm, carrots. I made carrot pancakes with my almost-2-son yesterday. Well, more precise, they were carrot-flax-millet-cornmeal-split pea-whole wheat pancakes. I discovered long ago that Afton will eat anything that is a pancake, and I've come up with some pretty good combos.

Thanks for your blog! It's so inspiring to read about your daily adventures.

hmd said...

Ashley - I visited your blog. What fun to give your hubby some new green thing to do each week!

Krista - Hey, if he'll eat it, I don't blame you for getting super creative. Any combinations that didn't work?

Krista said...

Hmm, I sometimes used soaked ground beans as part of the batter and he won't eat as many as those, but I don't know if it's due to flavor or the filling power of beans.

My favorite so far has been zucchini-teff flour-garfava flour-wheat flour pancakes. They were so good!

Oh, another favorite is any with ground quinoa in them. They're delightfully bitter.

hmd said...

Krista - Hm. I would have thought beans would go well depending on what other things you have in them. Speaking of quinoa, I had some last night for the first time and just loved it!