Friday, December 11, 2009

Market to Table - December 11, 2009

I've been clearing the fridge of fresh produce so that I can go out of town next week and have made some serious headway. Left are just a container of steamed carrots (farmers' market), a boiled red potato (farmers' market), and fresh fruit (but that can go with me on the trip).

So what have I been eating this week? Here's a glimpse:

Stove Top Veggie Casserole

I've made this 100 times in 100 different ways (all depending on what ingredients I had on hand). This time, I tossed 1/2 cup of brown rice (local from Houston) with 1 cup of water in a saucepan. Then added chopped sweet potato, radish greens, green peppers, and green tomatoes (all harvested from the backyard), as well as chopped carrots, onions (from the farmers' market).

I brought the water to boiling, then let it simmer for about 40 minutes, until the rice was cooked (in the meantime, this "steams" the veggies on top of the rice for a no-fat-added meal). Once the rice was cooked, I stirred the pot and added peanuts (farmers' market), the last of the cooked garbanzo beans (not local), leftover pesto (basil from the backyard), and a can of corn (canned from the farmers' market produce last summer); and let it heat through.

I thought it was a strange mix, but I was trying to get rid of leftovers in the fridge. Lucky me - it tasted fabulous and fed me for about 4 meals!


Salad, Sesame Bagel w/Hummus, and Sage Tea

Lunch today took care of the rest of the salad greens in the fridge. The salad consists of lettuce and radishes from the backyard, as well as carrots and onion from the farmers' market.

Next to it is a sesame bagel from our locally-owned bakery (Blue Baker), toasted and smeared with roasted red pepper hummus (not local).

And last but not least, I stayed toasty warm with a cup of sage tea using sage from my backyard garden. Delicious!

So that's what made it from the market to my table this week. The fridge is almost empty and I'm ready for a holiday full of wonderful new foods from amazing new places.

Have a great weekend, everyone. And as always, Happy (and mindful) Eating!

No comments: