Saturday, June 21, 2008

Tomato tribute

After a much anticipated (and longer than usual) growing season, the tomato finally hit our farmers market last weekend - full force. We've had hothouse tomatoes since April that were really good, but it's just not the same as when the entire market is consumed with the deep red of homegrown tomatoes. Now that red beauty is back for another round of good summer eats. EVERYONE has tomatoes! Needless to say, I've been eating them all week and loving it! There are few simple pleasure in life quite like biting into a fresh summer tomato - the juice drips down the sides of your mouth, but you just don't care. It tastes SO GOOD!

So in honor of the coming of tomato season, I wrote my tribute to the tomato:
It's true I enjoy the potato
Or chard or green beans on my plate-o
But not a thing in the land
Is nearly as grand
As a ripe, juicy summer tomato
That's my tomato sandwich in the photo - a homemade roll with fresh, local gouda toasted on each side, topped with a nice thick slice of heaven. Yum! Well, I'm off to the market for more 'maters!  May your season be long and tasty!

P.S. What are your favorite ways to enjoy summer tomatoes?

5 comments:

A. Brown said...

This is neither here nor there, but when I saw the title of your post, I heard Jack Black in my head starting saying "This is the greatest and best tomato in the world... Tribute"

It's always a good morning that starts with Tenacious D in your head lol

Green Bean said...

That looks delicious! I love love love tomato season. I usually chop up the tomatoes with a cucumber, basil, some balsamic and olive oil, salt and pepper and eat it over baguette with cheese. Can you tell I like baguettes and cheese?

Sam said...

Husband loves tomato juice and gazpacho. I love it cooked in any manner. Generally with sprinkled with cheese and basil.

hmd said...

green plan(t) - That's hilarious! Jack Black is great!

green bean - your salad sounds great. I love baguettes and cheese too. In many of my european trips I stayed in small places where you get fresh rolls or baguette slices with butter, and jam for breakfast. It was so good! How did we ever get addicted with the stuff at the grocery when fresh baked (homemade or bakery) is do delicious?

beany - How do you make your tomato juice? I haven't had any in so long but it's one of my favorites!

Sam said...

I'll put up a One Local Summer post on tomato juice soon.