Saturday, May 17, 2008

Squash Chronicles - Part III

One upon a time, in a land far away, there were three squash: spaghetti, butternut and acorn. Never having enjoyed them outside an autumn porch decoration, I've gone on a journey to discover them in the way nature intended. This is Part III of their tales - The Squash Chronicles.

Acorn Squash - This was by far the easiest to cut and the easiest seed removal. Just like the other two, I popped the halves in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes cut side down, then 10 minutes cut side up to brown (I'm telling myself that I'm doing them all the same for consistency sake - you know so I can compare one to the others - but really I'm just lazy).  

This one, like the butternut, was ok, but I can't say I'm going to have any cravings for it. There's probably another way to make it that is specific to this type of squash. The seeds, as usual, were the best part. All toasty, salty, and crunchy. Mmm, fresh toasted seeds!

So what have I learned, overall? Jump at the chance to try something new. Maybe I didn't love the flavors of the butternut or acorn squash, but it could have been the way I prepared them (Melissa commented yesterday that her Mom made a great butternut squash soup. I'd like to experiment a little more; try her recipe). Then, of course, I found a new veggie to add to my favorites list (yeah for spaghetti squash)! And those freshly toasted seeds, from all three squash, were the best seeds I'd ever had (nothing like fresh)! 

Throughout this local eating experiment, I've tried so many things I have never eaten before: brussels sprouts, chard, collard greens, and now winter squash. When I shopped exclusively at the grocery it was just too easy to stock up on the same old things week after week. Eating locally has taught me to be more adventurous; it has made shopping, cooking, and eating wonderful fun; and I've found lots of new favorite veggies along the way. What could be better than that? Now, how about more of that spaghetti squash, please!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

The only way I like acorn squash is stuffed - with rice, cheese, ground meat, you can be creative, and it makes a whole meal. Even then it's not my favorite squash, but I really don't like it on its own.

Good for you for trying new foods! It's kind of an adventure, isn't it?

hmd said...

Definitely an adventure. I was walking through the grocery store today to pick up a few things and realized that I'm just never there anymore. I used to walk up once a day to pick up a few things here and a few things there (can only get a little bit at a time since I go on foot with my canvas bags). You know, I don't miss it at all! I eat such wonderful foods without ever having to set foot in that store. It's just amazing to me.