Friday, October 2, 2009

Veg*n Community - A visit at SGF

A great big SGF Welcome! to everyone visiting from "Vision-Voice-Veg*n for the Brazos Valley" whose monthly meeting was held at the home of yours truly!

I gave the grand tour of my backyard garden, spoke on how I got started, organic methods I've tried, and the magic of making your own compost. Everyone seemed really interested and eagerly asked questions as we walked the yard. We were even able to catch a glimpse at some of the sweet potatoes that have gotten so big, they're peeking above the surface of the dirt (peek-a-boo)!

But the garden tour and talk were only half of the evening's delight. Everyone brought a dish (and lucky me, they ended up ALL being vegan, except some sliced cheese) to share with the group. There were chips with vegan dip, a variety of fresh and dried fruits, my homemade whole wheat rolls, a vegetable curry dish, and lots more. I had a little of almost everything and loved it (and I'm going to keep loving it as many of the leftovers ended up in my fridge). Woohoo!

We had a great time (Kelsey too - you might notice in the photo she's on the porch to the right licking my plate while I'm not paying attention...)

Thanks to everyone who came. I really enjoyed having you! We talked about a lot of things. Here are some links to the resources we talked about and, of course, you're welcome to email me with questions or subscribe to this blog where I do a monthly Garden Therapy post (click here to look at past gardening posts).

Now, on to the resource links:

Square Foot Gardening Website (this book is available at the BCS library or at your favorite book store)

Several of you also indicated interest in the Brazos Locavores (field trip to farms, orchards, and dairies near BCS). Check out our website for the latest.

Have a great weekend everyone. Happy Gardening!

2 comments:

sharli said...

Wish I could've been there! Sounds like you all had a good time.

hmd said...

It was really cool getting to know everyone a little better and the food was just awesome! I would have loved to have had you there to tell about your garden, but I shared what I could.