Saturday, December 26, 2009

Biking and Eating Local in Aptos

Dave and I walked down to the Aptos Farmers' Market this morning. Even the day after Christmas, there were maybe 30 vendors lining the community college parking lot. We didn't buy anything as there's tons of leftovers in my mother-in-law's fridge, but we did take a couple photos along the way...

Here's another of those signs I'd love to take home with me. The signs are everywhere since there are always lots of bikers on the road here in Santa Cruz county, including kids as I mentioned in my last post. A biker can't help but feel at home in a place with so many bike lanes. My favorite bike-friendly observation,
however, is of surfers who have affixed surfboard holders to their bikes to catch those much beloved waves at a moments notice.

So on to the farmers' market. This is for all you Locavores who make that exception in your local diet to include that can't-live-without-it ingredient... salt. Yep! That's local salt there in the jars for $3! Awesome!

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!

7 comments:

Chile said...

Xtracycles were originally developed by surfers that wanted a way to transport their boards by bike. :)

Local salt, eh? Cool! I did pick up some Pacific salt once in a store when I noticed it but I'm not sure they continued to carry it.

Tammy said...

Back in Bryan, the Market had a good showing for the day after X-mas. There were seven vendors, if I counting right...Amy, Marjorie, Lois and Garlin, Richard, Joe, another egg vendor who also had dried chile peppers, and a soap vendor. There were lots of eggs, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, spinach, onions and lemons, canned goods, soap, brown sugar body scrub, and massage oil. It was lame compared to the previous week, to be sure, but I managed to pick up a few things. I got out with two jars of jam-peach and blueberry, 4 jars of salsa, 2 dozen eggs, a pouch of dried chile peppers, a container of brown sugar scrub, broccoli, spinach, carrots, and cabbage. Customers were few, but steady on a very nippy morning...

hmd said...

Chile - I bought local salt once in Austria after I toured the 2000 year old salt mine. Talk about cool AND local!

Tammy - Sounds like things are going strong and there's still such a wonderful variety with only 7 vendors. Awesome! Enjoy the goodies!

Simple in France said...

Ah, DH and I used to live and bike around that area of California once upon a time. Beautiful. And local salt is definitely a find. I had no idea that they made anything like that out there. I like to buy my salt local too--right now I live about an hour's drive from some big salt flats in France, which is where ours typically comes from--when someone doesn't buy the cheap-o brand at the grocery store. . .

hmd said...

Simple in France - is it easy to get where you are or do you have to make the trip closer to the flat to get your supply of salt?

Fowl Ideas said...

Have you ever wondered why all those highly intelligent space aliens don't land and introduce themselves?

Homes for sale Philippines said...

This blog sounds interesting and cool. How I love biking also. It was a great feeling for me when I am biking with my friends. Thank you for this cool post.


Charles A