Friday, October 30, 2009

Whole Wheat Banana Cookies (vegan)

I have been busy in the kitchen again. Actually, I put in another 20 miles of biking today, so maybe I was just hungry...

Anyway, I had some organic bananas in the cabinet that were WAY too ripe and I couldn't quite decide what to do with them. Then I thought about how totally easy those vegan pumpkin cookies were earlier this week and decided between that recipe and a little creativity, I could make a banana cookie to die for. Let's just say... YUM!

I halved the pumpkin cookie recipe, left out the ginger, substituted 3 overripe bananas for the pumpkin puree, and used my local whole wheat flour instead of white. Here's what the new recipe looked like:
Whole Wheat Banana Cookies (vegan)
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 overripe bananas
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Cream brown sugar, vanilla, oil, and bananas in a mixer. Combine dry ingredients and add slowly to wet ingredients. Blend until smooth.

Drop by teaspoon onto lined cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet and then move to a rack to cool.

Makes just over 2 dozen cookies.
I have to say, I absolutely LOVE these cookies. They remind me of banana nut muffins. Not only are they delicious, but they're vegan and that whole wheat flour makes me feel healthy. Does that make sense? But don't listen to me. Give 'em a try!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just made these for the first time and I'm going to have a hard time not eating the whole batch in one night!! So delicious, I think I'll try the pumpkin ones next time. Also a great way to get rid of my too-ripe bananas.