Saturday, October 24, 2009

350.org's International Day of Climate Action

I just got back from our local celebration of 350.org's Inter-national Day of Climate Action at the Village Cafe. That's me hanging out on the patio talking to a friend. In fact, I saw lots of familiar faces while we were there so hopefully, the event is a wonderful success - A special thanks to Chris Clonts and Kelly Moore for putting it together). When I went in to order lunch, I got my photo taken with a couple other eco-warriors (Mary Strauss of Be Green in Bryan and photographerLynn Lamoreux). Hopefully, I can find the photo on 350.0rg's website when they get uploaded.

To celebrate the day, the Village Cafe served up an extensive local meal, where you could choose three items off the 100% local lunch menu: sweet potato casserole, ratatouille, salad, gumbo, and... crud... about 4 other things were on there and I'm totally blanking on them... I guess I should have taken a photo of the sign, huh?

Oh well, here's what's truly important, right? I took a photo of the food, much of which was purchased earlier this morning at the Brazos Valley Farmers' Market - Go Local!

There were two vegan items labeled on the menu and I got both (in fact, a double portion of one to make my "3" choices). Pictured here is the ratatouille and the salad - lots of squash, eggplant, onions, tomatoes... and honestly, I could tell you by looking what items came from which farmers. How awesome is that? More importantly, it tasted absolutely divine! I'm thinking they need to add these to their regular menu. Yum!

Dave ordered of the regular menu which includes both local and non-local organic ingredients. He had the open-faced roast beef sandwich with a harvest salad (greens, onions, apples, gorgonzola, and a vinaigrette dressing). Anyone drooling out there!

Kelsey was, since she joined us out on the patio for the gorgeous day, delicious food, and a great cause.

It was great to see so many people come out and show their support for climate action and local food. Until next time...!

2 comments:

Sam said...

I am not at the level where I could tell what veggie came from which farm.

I was grumbling about the 350 day of activities, so I decided to have my own little community building. I had a vegan brunch potluck style and invited all the women I know. Everyone seemed to have a great time and wanted a repeat.

hmd said...

Beany - Might just be a start of a new little community for you! And potlucks are always awesome - you can eat lots of different goodies and only have to make one of them yourself! :)