Monday, July 6, 2009

Local diet update - July 6, 2009

It was a happy and wonderfully festive Fourth of July at the Brazos Valley Farmers' Market. Many vendors and customers celebrated with festive clothes and flags (that's Lois in the photo representing the veggie version of the Statue of Liberty, a carrot as her torch).

Needless to say, the watermelons were a bit hit. I mean seriously. Is it the 4th of July without a watermelon? But that wasn't all that our great market offered. Available at this week's Brazos Valley Farmers' Market were:
Veggies: banana peppers, cayenne peppers, green peppers, tomatoes, yellow squash, winter squash, zucchini, onions, potatoes, purple hull peas, carrots, tomatillos, beets, eggplant, green beans, cucumber, herbs

Fruits: cantaloupe, apples, peaches, watermelon

Baked Goods: yeast breads, sweet breads, pastries, dog treats

Canned Goods: jams, jellies, salsas, pickles, beets

Other Foods: honey, eggs, locally-roasted peanuts, cornmeal, grits, whole wheat flour, olive oil

Crafts: jewelry, liquid and bar soaps, aprons, pot holders

Plants: a huge variety of decorative potted plants
With a harvest in my own back yard of lambs-quarter, collard greens, swiss chard, tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, sage, and one final onion; plus a bag of red potatoes from a previous market; plus lots of rice, whole wheat flour, and home-canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, soups, corn, and beans (all items local), I only needed a few things at the market. But when did that stop me? Besides, I'm expecting my Mom and Step-dad to visit this week and we'll need lots of good food, right?

So at this week's market, I picked up (aka bought, bartered for, or received as gifts) a large watermelon, about half a dozen tomatoes, carrots, peaches, apples, a dozen eggs, green beans, purple hull peas, yellow squash, lemon poppy seed muffins and an apple turnover. Mmm. We're going to eat good this week!

Look. Eating local is anything but boring. It's about fresh food, good friends (like Statue of Liberty Lois), a healthy community, and being in touch with the Earth and her seasons. So get on out there, check out your local farmers' market, and discover the wonderful world of local food.

Hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July. Happy (and mindful) eating!

6 comments:

Sam said...

Haha! I love the Statue of Liberty,

Chile said...

Mmm, I'm eagerly awaiting the first peppers from our CSA. Our late-planted ones in the ground did not do well, although experimental hydroponic seedlings seem to be doing good.

hmd said...

Beany - She did that well, didn't she? Lois decorated her booth in flags and red-white-blue too and even brought me a festive table cloth for my booth. How sweet!

Chile - That's a bummer. We've had tons of peppers at the market, but mine aren't producing at all. I think it's a pollination prob...

ttammylynn said...

Oh, I also acquired some figs, yummy.
I bought banana nut bread, zucchini bread, salsa, purple hull peas, bath gel, tomatoes, canteloupe, summer squash, onions, pickles, green beans, eggs, a fig tree, a banana tree, and some cucumbers.

Joan said...

Our area of is promoting eating local too. It would be a lot easier for me if my kids were younger. The closest I got last night was homemade pizza with local vegetables. (aka old blog "Well At Least I Try" I followed your blog last summer)

hmd said...

Tammy - I just found out about the figs. My mom is coming to visit tomorrow so I'm planning on taking her to the Wednesday market. While there, I'll get some figs to try myself. They're so local and yet I've never had one. Sheesh!

Joan - The homemade pizza sounds wonderful! We're having one tomorrow night. No, it's not all local but you do what you can. So what kinds of veggies do you like on your pizza?