Tuesday, July 28, 2009

California 2009 - Day 7

I was feeling pretty tired today and my tummy was in a bit of turmoil, so we had a nice quite day at our home away from home (aka Dave's Mom's house). I did get a nice 1 hour walk in this morning, this time into the shopping area of Aptos where there are a few less hills (the last 2 days of steep hill hikes are kicking my butt).

One place I always visit when I'm in town is Aptos Natural Foods, so I made this today's destination. I just love this store, mainly for the amazing bulk isle. You can get nuts, sweets, cereal, granola, flours, pastas, dried fruit, honey, olive oil, beans, and much much more - all of it in bulk. You can even pick out some nuts and use their grinder to make your own nut butter. Of course, they have a wonderful selection of other natural, local, vegetarian, and vegan foods.

Feeling guilty for drooling down every isle with no intention to buy, I picked up some organic dried mango for a snack (perhaps a little something to enjoy at the movies later this week).

The rest of the day was spent in the presence of family, a mystery novel, and my latest philosophy text, "When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times" by Pema Chodron. Obviously, being on this fabulous vacation, my life isn't exactly falling apart at the moment, but this book has proven to be more along the lines of practical advice for daily living and I'm soaking up every single word. I may even purchase a copy (which is saying ALOT for me).

Anyway, that's all for today. Tomorrow we have plans to hit my favorite deli, then on to see "Food Inc" at the theater. Who knows, maybe we'll hit the beach too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooo....the items in bulk had ME drooling!

hmd said...

Nina - I've been in the stone several times now and I still "ooh" and "ahh" at the selection.