Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Pedal Power Update - May 2009

Wait, it's been a month already? Seriously?

Ok. Um. I'm going to have to think back on this last month. It was a busy one to be sure. Between the farmers' market, several university festivals, and a few talks I did around town, It's been crazy. I know. I know. I'm supposed to be slowing down - finding balance between activism and personal growth. Maybe next month?

This month was another windy one, and for about half the month, a much needed rainy one. I had to spend a few days indoors because it literally rained all day, but the rest of the time, I was out on my bike, walking, or riding the bus. 

The weather is definitely on the warmer side too. We've been in the 80's for the last few weeks and even had one day where we broke 90 degrees. That's Texas for you. Of course, it makes for a beautiful spring garden and very comfortable bike riding since I only need a light t-shirt and a pair of shorts. I love the feeling of the sun on my skin as I pedal around town getting all our errands run. I even biked to the dentist last week, much to the hygienist's dismay. 

Most of my rides have been within 40 minutes round trip, so everything was short distance, but I definitely got plenty of exercise and saved lots of gas. One funny story before I close...

I was pedaling down the road and noticed that the right hand lane was pretty backed up (waiting for people to get into the right-hand turn lane further up). With no one coming up behind me, I went ahead and entered the next lane and cruised on down closer to the light. I slowed as I got closer to the light because there were now cars in my lane too. A truck driver to my right started hassling me about being in the middle of the road. I looked at him and said, "and yet I'm the one who's actually getting somewhere..." And I rode off through the intersection as he continued to sit. Maybe he should get a bike...

Don't be shy, now. Go experience a little pedal power for yourself. It's addicting, I promise!

2 comments:

Sam said...

I heard it's been rainng over there. We could use some rain here with this drought we're having.

My husband often has to remind me of the fun component of bicycling. Something I tend to forget about when advocating for more riding

hmd said...

Beany - yeah, in fact it flooded all over the place forcing some schools to close as well as many roads. My plants were loving it though since they are in raised beds with good drainage.

I agree about it being easy to forget the fun factor. Everyone in awhile I'll get frustrated that I'm not going faster and I have to remind myself that the only thing that matters is getting there. Then I relax a bit and enjoy the rest of the ride.