Monday, May 25, 2009

Local diet update - May 25, 2009

Great news in local food this week. I'm currently harvesting onions, kale, sage, basil, lambs-quarter, green beans, collard greens, lettuce, and swiss chard. All I can say is my meals this week will be on the green side. And a friend has been bringing by loads of goodies too, like onions, chard, peaches, blueberries, strawberries, and watermelon (pictured here). Of course, that means I didn't need much at the farmers' market, but that certainly didn't keep me from browsing. 

Available at this week's Brazos Valley Farmers' Market were:
Veggies: garlic, yellow onions, red onions, white onions, spinach, turnips, beets, swiss chard, yellow squash, red potatoes, white potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, broccoli, cucumbers, carrots, herbs, green beans, cauliflower, eggplant, spaghetti squash, zucchini, and much more...

Fruits: dried cranberries, dried apples, blackberries

Canned Goods: jams, jellies, salsas, pickles, chow-chow, relishes, tomato juice, canned veggies, pickled eggs

Baked Goods: both white and wheat flour egg noodles, yeast breads, sweet breads, cakes, pies, pastries, cornbread, puppy cookies

Other Foods: eggs, olive oil, locally-roasted coffees, grits, cornmeal, whole wheat flour, trail mix, locally-roasted peanuts

Plants: ornamental plants, veggie plants, herbs plants, flowers, fruit trees

Crafts: crocheted boxes, pot-holders, jewelry, soaps, candles, bags, aprons, handmade glass marbles
I concentrated my farmers' market efforts on things I'm not currently producing myself. That's a dozen eggs, four containers of blackberries, dried cranberries, whole wheat flour, puppy cookies, and a spaghetti squash (I couldn't resist). It feels good to be actually producing most of our veggie needs out of the backyard. In fact, it's downright astonishing considering we just started the garden last October! Of course, we still have plenty of red potatoes in the fridge, so not ALL our veggies are from the backyard, but that's pretty close. I might just have farmer blood in me after all!

Check back on Thursday for the "Market to Table" post to see what became of all these local goodies. In the meantime, check out a farmers' market near you (or start your own garden, or find a wonderfully generous friend...) and discover the wonderful world of local food.

Have a great week everyone. And, as always, Happy (and mindful) eating!

5 comments:

ttammylynn said...

I forgot to tell you something. You were saying that you didn't plant enough green beans, well, I planted lots. We'll have to see how they produce, like the corn, melons and everything else but if I have extra, you can have some.
Right now, we are working on consumption of berries, yum.
At the market, I bought some yellow squash, a head of cabbage, some salsa, strawberry rhubarb jelly, cinnamon peach apple jelly, tomato juice, a small cactus, jalapenos, two bags of coffee and a few tomatoes.
From Vicki, I received some green beans, some squash, some potatoes a cucumber, lettuce, chard, herbs and two peaches. The pickup was the night my sister was in labor so I took the two peaches to her(just having picked peaches). One ripened yesterday and I cut it up so she could eat it with her breakfast along with a small dish of strawberries and blueberries from the day before's picking. I have to take Vicki's ice chest back to her, I opted to borrow it so I could go straight back to the hospital Thursday night. What a busy week it's been.
Incidentally, today is Deb's birthday.

ttammylynn said...

Oh, and from my garden this week, I have received many strawberries, some raspberries, some tomatoes some purplish green beans and a few flowers. There are carrots, onions, garlic, herbs, some squash, and spinach ready if I need them, also. Flowering or producing, we have zucchini, squash, tomatoes, some spinach, green beans, strawberries, canteloupe, watermelon, cucumber, bell pepper, potatoes, kumquats, oranges, some lettuce, figs, and berries. Doing well I have lima beans, some pak choi, broccoli, luffa, and many flowers

hmd said...

Tammy - you always end up with such an amazing haul of food. I can't imagine having to get so much food for a big family. However do you plan? I guess you get used to gaging how much you need week after week. All I know is your family eats REALLY well with all those farmers' market, CSA, and home-grown goodies!

Farmer's Daughter said...

Congrats on your wonderful garden! I can't wait til we're back in teh swing of things, here, too!

hmd said...

Farmer's Daughter - Thanks! I actually picked my first tomato this weekend! It was small (tomato berry variety), but it was so good. And many more to come... :)