Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Being Thankful - April 29, 2009

As I looked out over my garden, I was reminded of the many things for which I have to be thankful:
  • Rain - after month of draught, steady rains are helping my plants to grow tall, beautiful, and productive
  • Generosity - my father provided the wood and compost, and Dave provided that labor that built the 7 raised beds housing our backyard gardens (and many harvests to come)
  • Time - being at home (no paid employment) means I have time to meditate, exercise, garden, volunteer, write this blog, and read to my little heart's content
  • Home - We have a roof over our heads and a warm bed at night. We have food in our bellies and clothes on our back. Do we really need much more?
  • Sickness and Health - I am thankful for my "good" days, but also for the painful ones. It is because of chronic illness that I slowed the pace of my life and quit my job. It has made me who I am
  • Family - I have a loving husband who encourages and supports me. Our kids, though of the furry kind, give us laughter and comfort. Particularly today, though, I'm thankful for Kelsey - We've been together since she was 6 weeks old and today is her 12th birthday. Happy Birthday, Pooh Bear!
What makes you thankful today?

8 comments:

fearlesschef said...

Wonderful, timely post. Focusing on what I am thankful for certainly helps to alleviate the stress I feel over the things that I cannot control and cause me anxiety.

Beany said...

Happy Birthday Kelsey!

I am not grateful for this often enough, but I'm grateful that both me and my husband have our health.

Theresa said...

A good reminder for me today, being that I'm feeling kind of sorry for myself for no good reason. I'm grateful to have family who loves me, a mostly good and safe country to live in, fulfilling work to do, and the opportunity to learn everyday. Thank you Heather!

Green Resolutions said...

I am grateful for my little family and our extended families. It is because we have such wonderful parents who would let us move in w/them if our business doesn't succeed that we had the courage to try.

Heather @ SGF said...

Thanks to everyone for sharing what they are thankful for!

Now, we're off to Kelsey's favorite bday spot: Shakes Frozen Custard (where they offer free puppy scoops!) Pictures coming soon...

Angela said...

Aahh- This is my favorite exercise and I try to do it as often as possible. I say or write down at least 5 things I'm grateful for. It makes me feel instantly happy, because I know I truly am blessed.

My girlfriend is a single mom and she does it with her 3-year-old son sometimes at dinner. They call it "the gratefuls." How can you not feel happy when an adorable 3-year-old tells you he's "grateful that Auntie Ang is having dinner with them."

Right now, this moment, I'm grateful for:
1. my good health
2. the sunshine
3. finding a plant that's going to work for a shady spot in our yard
4. my awesome husband who just finished a small patio in our front yard
5. a gorgeous sunny day.

thanks Heather!

GrittyPretty said...

i'm grateful to find your blog! inspirational and i relate to your circumstances and goals.

Heather @ SGF said...

Angela - Good for you! I don't do it nearly enough. I need to get in the habit...

GrittyPretty - Welcome!