Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Being Thankful - April 29, 2009

As I looked out over my garden, I was reminded of the many things for which I have to be thankful:
  • Rain - after month of draught, steady rains are helping my plants to grow tall, beautiful, and productive
  • Generosity - my father provided the wood and compost, and Dave provided that labor that built the 7 raised beds housing our backyard gardens (and many harvests to come)
  • Time - being at home (no paid employment) means I have time to meditate, exercise, garden, volunteer, write this blog, and read to my little heart's content
  • Home - We have a roof over our heads and a warm bed at night. We have food in our bellies and clothes on our back. Do we really need much more?
  • Sickness and Health - I am thankful for my "good" days, but also for the painful ones. It is because of chronic illness that I slowed the pace of my life and quit my job. It has made me who I am
  • Family - I have a loving husband who encourages and supports me. Our kids, though of the furry kind, give us laughter and comfort. Particularly today, though, I'm thankful for Kelsey - We've been together since she was 6 weeks old and today is her 12th birthday. Happy Birthday, Pooh Bear!
What makes you thankful today?

8 comments:

Laura said...

Wonderful, timely post. Focusing on what I am thankful for certainly helps to alleviate the stress I feel over the things that I cannot control and cause me anxiety.

Sam said...

Happy Birthday Kelsey!

I am not grateful for this often enough, but I'm grateful that both me and my husband have our health.

Theresa said...

A good reminder for me today, being that I'm feeling kind of sorry for myself for no good reason. I'm grateful to have family who loves me, a mostly good and safe country to live in, fulfilling work to do, and the opportunity to learn everyday. Thank you Heather!

Green Resolutions said...

I am grateful for my little family and our extended families. It is because we have such wonderful parents who would let us move in w/them if our business doesn't succeed that we had the courage to try.

hmd said...

Thanks to everyone for sharing what they are thankful for!

Now, we're off to Kelsey's favorite bday spot: Shakes Frozen Custard (where they offer free puppy scoops!) Pictures coming soon...

Angela said...

Aahh- This is my favorite exercise and I try to do it as often as possible. I say or write down at least 5 things I'm grateful for. It makes me feel instantly happy, because I know I truly am blessed.

My girlfriend is a single mom and she does it with her 3-year-old son sometimes at dinner. They call it "the gratefuls." How can you not feel happy when an adorable 3-year-old tells you he's "grateful that Auntie Ang is having dinner with them."

Right now, this moment, I'm grateful for:
1. my good health
2. the sunshine
3. finding a plant that's going to work for a shady spot in our yard
4. my awesome husband who just finished a small patio in our front yard
5. a gorgeous sunny day.

thanks Heather!

GrittyPretty said...

i'm grateful to find your blog! inspirational and i relate to your circumstances and goals.

hmd said...

Angela - Good for you! I don't do it nearly enough. I need to get in the habit...

GrittyPretty - Welcome!