Thursday, February 19, 2009

Market to Table - February 19, 2009

If there was one word to describe my diet over the two weeks, it would be cabbage. You'd think I'd get tired of it eventually, but not yet. I harvested another cabbage from the garden, made a huge pot of cabbage soup and canned 7 quarts of it. Of course, that still left me with enough cabbage to make stir fry every day this week (it was another BIG cabbage). But don't worry, I have more than just cabbage to show you this week. Let's get started with this week's edition of Market to Table:

Cabbage stir fry over rice - Looks good doesn't it? As usual, nothing complicated comes out of my kitchen. This was a super easy meal that tasted fabulous, every single time. 

While I cooked a half cup of local brown rice on the stove, I chopped some cabbage (backyard garden), carrots (Farmers' Market), spinach (Farmers' Market) and mushrooms (Farm Patch Produce Market), and sauteed them in a drizzle of olive oil (Farmers' Market) with just a hint of salt. Once the veggies had cooked through and softened, I set them aside until the rice was done, them mixed it together to make an lunch SO tasty, that I made it the exact same way every day this week. Why play with perfection?

Sweet Potatoes - It's been a couple weeks since I've shown off my all-time favorite potato. I've now eaten the last few I had stored in the fridge, and they've disappeared from the market as well. I'd like to say a few words to my delicious friend SP, who I won't likely see again until next fall/winter. I LOVE YOU, SP. I'LL MISS YOU...

Right. So anyway, as usual, I just chopped some sweet potatoes (farmers' market) into bite-sized pieces as well as some yellow onion (farmers' market) and mushrooms (Farm Patch). I tossed everything into a frying pan and sauteed them in olive oil (farmers' market) with a little salt until the veggies had softened. Super easy, super fantastic meal! And it's all local (well, except the salt). Mmmm, mmmm!

Baked Spaghetti and Steamed Broccoli - The picture is a little fuzzy since I took it right after I dished the plate (it was still steaming hot). This is another one of Dave's meals. Over the holidays, I got a few recipes from Dave's mom - things he enjoys eating for those few times a year I actually feel likecooking dinner. I'm not winning any wife-of-the-year awards, I know. Anyway, it's not all local, but most of it is. Let's see. The baked spaghetti was made with grass-fed ground beef (local and given to us from a friend), onion (farmers' market), spaghetti (not local), and one can of tomato soup (not local). As a side, I steamed some of the broccoli from our farmers' market. 

Like last week, I can't vouch for the tastiness of the meal, but Dave ate every last bite!

*******

Well there you have it - this week's Market to Table post. I wish I had more of those yummy strawberries to show you, but every time I've hit the produce market, they've been out of them. I guess I'm not the only one enjoying local foods! 

Have a great Thursday, everyone. And as always, Happy (and mindful) eating!

5 comments:

Chile said...

I like cabbage, too. One of my favorite recipes with it is Yaki soba. It's not that long until St. Patrick's Day, though, and I plan to simmer some with pickling spices.

Great, it's not even 8 am and I'm craving cabbage... ;-)

J said...

For the longest time, I didn't think I liked cabbage. Then one day last year, a head of it appealed to me so I picked it up, now I love it! It makes excellent stir-fries, and I even like to use it in Mexican food.

I love how simple your meals are, I think I am going to make a Heather-inspired rice and veggie stir-fry tonight, I have some veggies in need of some use.

Oh, sweet potatoes, I could write poems, sonnets, you name it. I was so sad when the sweet potatoes were gone for the year. But I guess they wouldn't be as special if we had them all the time.

hmd said...

Chile - It's ok. Cabbage is good for breakfast. I've done that :)

Jennifer - I thought that about brussels sprouts, beets, spinach, sweet potatoes... It's amazing that once you taste food fresh out of the garden (the way it was meant to be eaten) that you discover you love foods you never imagined. All the more reason to be adventurous at the market!

Sam said...

Someone recently mentioned kimchi on this blog...that's how we often have it. Or I should say, that's how my husband has it. He can eat korean food morning, noon, night and during his sleep.

I like cabbage, but I like it made the Indian way: with a boatload of spices and served on top of rice. So not too far off from you.

I began to like Sweet Potatoes only recently too. Its a really nice alternative to regular potatoes and a good substitute.

hmd said...

Beany - Ok. I'm going to need to see video of your hubby eating korean in his sleep. Please forward :)