Monday, December 15, 2008

Local diet update - December 15, 2008

Despite the fact that we'll be heading out of town in less than a week, I couldn't resist all those farmers market veggies. And with this being the last weekend I'd be attending the market until the first of the year, I had some holiday spirit to spread. Thankfully, I awoke to a 52 degree morning, so I attached my largest rubbermaid container to the back of my bicycle, loaded in a humongous container of cookies, and pedaled on downtown. 

Again this week, we had an amazing number of vendors ready and waiting to fulfill every veggie lovers' dream (and then some!). I did a little shopping (ok, more a little shopping as you can tell from the photo), but spent most of my time walking around the lot offering my homemade cookies to vendors and customers alike, catching up with friends, and wishing everyone a happy holiday. The cookies were a big hit (of course, I kinda promised that my special "holiday cookies" didn't contain any calories) and I enjoyed visiting with everyone who came out that day.

More about the cookies in tomorrow's final "Getting in the Spirit" series post. For now, let's concentrate on all the other things you could have picked up at this week's market. This is the photo of what I brought home including: 9 large carrots, 3 heads broccoli, 5 onions, red potatoes, sweet potatoes, mint, icicle radishes, green peppers, a dozen eggs, a jar of hot peppers (a gift for a lucky loved one), a handmade potholder (another gift for a lucky loved one), and a pot of plants (several kinds of onions and a baby kale plant) given to me by a really nice couple that were just there to do some shopping. What a haul! And isn't it just gorgeous!

As usual, though, my bounty is nothing compared to what was available. Here's what you could pick up at this week's farmers market: red onions, yellow onions, red potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, spinach, mustard greens, collard greens, turnips, kohlrabi, radishes, hot peppers, green peppers, lettuce, cornmeal, whole wheat flour, tomatoes, a variety of salsas, canned veggies, jams and jellies, cornbread, sweet bread, sandwich breads, tarts in several flavors, cookies, muffins, dried fruits, pickles, honey, eggs, pecans, many kinds of decorative plants, mistletoe, locally-roasted coffees, tons of handmade craft items like aprons, candles, pot holders, cloth gift bags, and well, much, much more!

Of course, the farmers market isn't the only place to find local food, I also had a few goodies come out of my own backyard garden this week. Here are the veggies I picked for my lunch on Friday. It's such fun to wander around the backyard trying to figure out what I'd like to eat for lunch. A little of this... A little of that... It just doesn't get any better!

So eating locally. Wow! How amazing is it that we have such a harvest here in mid-December!?!? And, of course, the farmers market isn't just a place to find good food. It's THE place to be on Saturday morning - a place of friendship, love, and a smile on every face. With everyone's belly full of cookies, I made one last round to each of the vendors with a big hug and wishes for a happy holiday. I'll miss everyone while I'm away these next couple weeks, but they'll be there when I return - with stories to tell and a beautiful new harvest to share. 

Have a great week everyone and, as always... Happy (and mindful) eating! 

5 comments:

ttammylynn said...

Yeah, I was on a mission to get some fresh romaine lettuce and a creme brule candle for my sister. I picked up a pound of shelled pecans and some tarts which she wanted, too, and two gift bags to round out for gifts we may have missed in the previous count, darn we have a lot of family.
For myself, I found a large head of cabbage, potatoes, mint, tomatoes, eggs(she took a dozen for baking-my pretty green ones, I kept the pullet eggs), lettuce, carrots, radishes, broccoli, organic free trade coffee, and a jar of hot salsa.
The last pick-up from Vicki for this session is scheduled on Tuesday, so I will have more veggies then. I sure do need to eat my veggies...yesterday, I didn't eat anything much besides fruit because my poor head was pounding all day from sinuses so I have a lot of ground to cover and very little time(I didn't feel up to cooking).
I don't think I will have more than a day off for Christmas and two gatherings to try to get to in one day. Fortunately, the dinner we will fix for my in-laws will be whatever simple meal we can make, no pressure and no turkey. My in-laws don't expect a gift, so I will certainly keep it down to easy and inexpensive, a thoughtful kind of thing.
I still need to finish up on the other gifts. Lorrie and I will divide the baking and chores in order to get everything done. Then, we will get together to assemble everything. For my part, my Christmas gift is a new oven coming Thursday so the 31 year old oven that won't stay closed without a bungee cord is being retired and maybe I can bake a bit more easily and efficiently.
I'm rambling again...I'll need to come by sometime before Christmas(and your trip). I'll call you sometime this week.

J said...

That was so nice of you to take cookies to the farmer's market! You can show up at my farmer's market with cookies anytime you want - in fact, screw taking them to market, bring 'em all to my apartment. ;-)

I am impressed with the bounty you were able to get in December, and what nice weather to ride to the market in. I look forward to your cookie post!

hmd said...

Tammy - I'm sorry you were feeling so crummy. Better today? Sounds like you really made out at the farmers market too! Can't complain too much about needing to "eat your veggies" as I know you like them as much as I do :)

Jennifer - Girl! See, that's part of the deal of you and Brett moving into our extra room. LOTS of cookies...

Chile said...

That's a lot of veggies to eat up before you head out of town, Heather!

What a nice touch to take cookies to the farmer's market for vendors and shoppers. Because of my CSA, I don't get to my farmer's market often enough to be recognized; they'd just think I was some crazy person offering cookies. ;-)

I did go to the farmer's market this weekend and was happy to discover there is another winery in this part of the state with (IMHO) better wines than the more popular area. I picked up a very spicy port for the holidays.

hmd said...

Chile - It was a lot of veggies, but I think I'm up for the challenge :)

That's great that you found a new local vendor. That's what I love about the farmers market. There's always something new to discover. That and I have built relationships with everyone there. Some of the customers looked at me funny when I was offering free cookies, but most people took them anyway (and came back for seconds - he he).