Thursday, September 25, 2008

Market to Table - September 25, 2008

As I'm writing this, of course, I'm looking back at all the goodies I've eaten over the last week. Anybody notice that I REALLY like potatoes? Oh well, they're red potatoes, and those are supposed to be really good for you, right? I'm going with that. 

As you can see from the photos, there are a few non-locals in the bunch, like the carrots, celery, and chicken; but I do believe everything else is local.  Let's see...
  • Stir fry - sauteed carrots, celery, mushroom, onion, and italian squash over a baked red potato (local: mushroom, onion, squash, red potato)
  • Roasted veggies with a side of green beans - roasted veggies include red potato, yellow onion, carrots, mushrooms and italian squash (local: potato, onion, mushrooms, squash, and green beans)
  • Chicken salad with a baked potato and a side of green beans (local: potato, green beans, and onion)
Not pictured are some wonderful local strawberries that I pulled out of the freezer, the Texas almonds I've been nibbling on (thanks Tammy for bringing those to my attention), my homemade yogurt, and then there's the scrambled eggs (from the farmers market) and summer sausage (from Sand Creek Farm) we had for dinner the other night. Breakfast for dinner is always a favorite!

I also did a little baking this week. I found this recipe for Cinnamon Bun Bread at one of my favorite baking blogs and just had to try it. The milk and eggs are local, but that's it. Regardless, I had to pass this recipe on. I intended it for Dave, but I've been nibbling on it myself. Mmmmm. Good stuff (sorry, sweetie)!

Now to you. What local goodies have made their way to your table this week? Do tell...

4 comments:

J said...

There is nothing wrong with liking potatoes a lot - I do too. Perhaps I am justifying it myself though....

It all looks so good and has me craving potatoes!

We have lots of local goodies on our table this week, but what I am most excited about are some finds at the market yesterday: some big, juicy end of summer tomatoes (how I am going to miss them!) and a lovely cantaloupe - cantaloupe being my all time favorite food. Wahoo!

hmd said...

jennifer - I'm with you. I miss tomatoes already. I'm glad I canned some of them, but I'm afraid it wasn't nearly enough. I'll be prepared next year though.

What's the deal with potatoes anyway. Everyone says that because they're a starchy vegetable to keep consumption down. It's not like I'm making fries with them. It's a veggie for heavens sake. We should eat them to our little hearts' content, right? :)

ttammylynn said...

As I eat a potato with salsa and cheese, I think, yep, potatoes and tomatoes. I'm going to try to keep a few tomato plants in my greenhouse over the winter...hopefully they will do alright. Many gardens have tomatoes coming up again for fall, too. As with everything, as we lose, we gain. Broccoli, spinach, lettuce and cabbage should be going crazy soon. We won't have summer squash and green beans, but we should have peas and carrots, cauliflower and radishes, perhaps even beets...

hmd said...

ttammylynn - I agree - potatoes and tomatoes. Mmmm. I think I'm going to have to break out on of those cans of tomatoes I put up this summer. How exciting that you have tomatoes in your near future! Tanya (from the farmers market) should have some in November as well. She'll be selling at Kroger and the Farm Patch.

Carrots are definitely on the way (both Lois and Richard have planted). Should have more green beans coming (at least for awhile). Lois just planted a bunch more. I just can't seem to get enough of them. But I'm looking forward to local carrots and broccoli too!