Friday, August 8, 2008

Market to table - One local summer week 10

This week's Market to Table has been in the back of my mind ever since the first One Local Summer Challenge post. It really is a no-brainer:  loaded baked potato. There are so many different kinds of veggies that can be sauteed and added to the top of a freshly baked potato. The possibilities are endless. Having been out of town last weekend, I simply used what I had left in the fridge with the small addition of a green pepper we picked up from a road-side stand on the way back from Arkansas.

I took a large red potato and popped it in the microwave for 6 minutes. While it was cooking, I chopped 1/2 an onion, two large mushrooms, and a green pepper, and sauteed them in olive oil adding just a hint of salt at the end for taste. Once the potato was done, I just spooned the veggies over top, then shredded a little (well, more than a little) gouda cheese over top and let it melt.

It made for a wonderfully filling meal and all that oohey, gooey cheese on top really hit the spot. Oh, and of course it was super easy to make. Leave it to me to go for the easy stuff, but it gets the job done!

Revealing My Sources

The potato came from our local farmers market. The onion and mushrooms both came from the grocery, but were grown in Texas. The green pepper came from a farmers market we passed on our way home from Arkansas on Monday. The gouda cheese came from our local dairy.

For More Information

For more recipes and ideas on local meals, check out the One Local Summer Challenge website (hosted by Farm to Philly) and see what others are eating (weekly OLS posts are made to theFarm to Philly website on Tuesdays of each week). 

If you're in the BCS area and are looking for local suppliers here in town, visit my post here, where I list sources for all kinds of goodies.

Happy (and mindful) eating!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy - IMHO, baked potatoes are the perfect food! And right now the local farmer's markets are full of potatoes and other veggies. Nice post!

J said...

I haven't had a baked potato in ages! And potatoes are so abundant at the farmer's market right now - for shame!

It sounds fantastic. I've never had gouda, I don't eat cheese because I'm allergic to dairy, but Brett does and they only sell what I would call "fancier" cheeses at the market, and I've seen gouda. Should I pick up some for him to try?

hmd said...

bobbi - I agree. Super tasty and you can keep them simply or go all out. I understand potatoes are pretty easy to grow too. We'll have to try that when we get our garden in. For now, though, you're right. The farmers market is the place to be!

jennifer - I love gouda. Definitely worth a shot. Dave is pretty picky about cheese and he really enjoys it. Buy a little and see what Brett thinks.

EcoBurban said...

YES!!! Cheeeese! Seriously, it's not a meal until you add copious amounts of cheese. Thank goodness someone else out there feels the same way! Looks yummy!

Sam said...

eco 'burban mom: I feel the same way too! Cheese makes everything a bit tastier. Let's not forget the calcium we get from cheese.

hmd said...

eco 'burban mom - yep. Cheese is definitely a must around here. I don't know how vegans do it. Gotta have my cheese!

Beany - Between cheese and yogurt, that's where I get most of my calcium. Wonderful creamy goodness! Of course, there's always ice cream. Yum...

Anonymous said...

Yum! Two of my favorite things: potatoes and cheese. Sometimes these simple meals are the most satisfying.

hmd said...

Tiffany - I completely agree. I'm all for the simple foods. Soups and sandwiches are my favorite. There's just something wholesome and comforting about them.