Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Save the kitties

Earlier today, we received an email from the local progressives group informing us that a local no-kill animal rescue shelter, The Cat's Cradle, must close its doors...
We just found out yesterday that my Aunt Gail has lung cancer that has spread to her spine, pelvic bone, lymph nodes, and chest cavity area. Basically it's not a good prognosis. As many of you know, she owns a cat rescue in Navasota, where she cares for 150 cats. She is desperately trying to find these cats a good home as quickly as possible. They have all been spayed/neutered and current on shots. Please forward this to everyone you know, and maybe we can help her in this difficult time.
Owner, Gail Allen was featured in the local newspaper last year in a heartwarming tale about how the shelter came to be and the amazing ways it has changed her life. Hearing this recent news just breaks my heart. If you live in the area and are interested at all in adopting a cat, please check them out.  You can find the shelter's website (here), or contact Gail Allen directly at 979-820-0599.

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Oh no :( I sure hope homes can be found for all the little kitties. It's nice of you to spread the word on their behalf.

J said...

That is so sad! That poor woman, and those poor kitties. If I could, I would take them all, but sadly, I can't. I do not live in the area, already have two kitties, and cannot take more.

A lot of my family lives in Texas though (McKinney and Houston), so I will forward this post on to them, perhaps they, or someone they know might be able to proivde a home for those sweet critters. :-(

hmd said...

Theresa - I'm hoping that the more people that know, the faster the word will spread. Cross your fingers...

Jennifer - Thanks for passing the word along. I loved looking at all the kitty photos on the shelter website, but we're like you. We already have two kitties (and a dog). We just can't adopt any more :(